Friday 1 July 2011

Office 365. doing a 180?

I have recently looked at Microsoft office 365 and seen that their new "cloud-based management tools" are somewhat late as this article. Microsoft seem to just be following other services and then shoving them in users faces as we have seen with Bing. This now seems like a bold move as they have to compete with the what is becoming a fast and simple to use product - Google docs. We are all aware that Microsoft have been making office software for years so I don't understand the lateness, although they had tried a partnership with Facebook. Which was Facebook docs by fuse labs but I don't know of anyone using it and couldn't access when I was writing this because its being fixed?! However we know that their are still problems with Google docs in that they don't have all the features Microsoft can provide, which I only assume is why Microsoft are still charging for their software, because they still are market leaders.

The £4 per user/month starting price for using office 365 is fairly cheap and the options to sync your files across the web and mobile devices make it an attractive option but even when I began to sign up for the free trial I was felt it was time to leave as the sign up process was ridiculous. It wanted you to set up a sub-domain then a email address or that... blah blah blah. It may be targeted towards professional and different sized organisations but I never found ZoHo(4m users) that mundane.

To be Continued... Let us know what you think

No comments:

Post a Comment